top of page

Sheriff's Office Investigates Deadly Springfield Shooting

According to Sangamon County Sheriff Jack Campbell, just after 6:00 pm on Wednesday evening, Sheriff's Deputies were called to a fight in progress in the 300 block of South Paul St.

Callers reported that during the fight one male pulled out a handgun and shot the subject he was fighting. On arrival, Deputies located a black male estimated to be in his 30s, shot in the chest. The victim was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.

Deputies located another black male, estimated to be in his 50s, with a gunshot wound in his back. The second victim was conscious and alert and able to speak. SCSO detectives are canvassing the area for witnesses. Anyone with any information is asked to call Crimestoppers or the SCSO Investigations Division at 217-753-6840.

Sangamon County Coroner Jim Allmon later confirmed the death of a 38-year-old male that was brought to HSHS St. John’s Hospital by EMS from the 300 block of St. Paul Street Wednesday evening. The individual was pronounced deceased by hospital staff at 6:44pm, shortly after his arrival, after sustaining gunshot wounds.

Update: Sangamon County Coroner Jim Allmon identified the victim as Aaron Cutler of Springfield. Preliminary autopsy findings suggest Mr. Cutler died from multiple gunshot wounds. The death remains under investigation by the Sangamon County Coroner and the Sangamon County Sheriff.

Detectives located and interviewed numerous witnesses to the shooting. It was confirmed that a physical fight occurred between the deceased, Aaron Cutler, and the suspect prior to the shooting. Detectives are still trying to determine the exact cause of the fight, and are still attempting to locate additional witnesses.

Through video evidence obtained from the area, detectives learned the suspect was dropped off by a vehicle a short distance away from the scene, shortly before the incident began. Detectives believe they have positively identified the vehicle, but the vehicle has not been located at this time. Video evidence also yielded a physical description of the suspect, but a positive identification has not been confirmed.

Detectives are hopeful that additional witness interviews, and evidence collected from the scene, will lead to an identification of the suspect, and the filing of criminal charges.


bottom of page